Ready for a mouth-watering, low carb, high protein meal to satisfy even the most intense Italian craving? This spaghetti squash dish is paleo and absolutely perfect for the whole family or just for one.
1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 spaghetti squash (prepared)
1 jar of your favourite sauce (I bought an organic Italian herb sauce but you can also make your own)
1 T minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
a dash of pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut ends off of the squash and then cut lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and squash junk, then place each squash face down on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The less time you cook it for, the “crunchier” the squash will be. I did mine for 50 minutes and it was perfect! (for more ways to prepare spaghetti squash look here)
2. Saute onions in a skillet with whatever kind of oil you want (I used a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil) for a few minutes and then add in the beef, garlic and spices.
3. When the beef is mostly cooked through, add in the mushrooms and sauce. Feel free to heat up the sauce separately and let each person add however much sauce they want to their own plate!
4. Take out the squash and use your fork to pull out the strings. It should come out of the squash very easily!
5. Pile up the squash and the goods on your plate, then dig in!
(I have no idea how many servings this would make probably anywhere from 3-5, just use your own judgment on how much sauce and meat you personally want)