Episode 305: Mike Johnson is from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada where he started a career at a young age as a recording and touring musician with his band Shyne Factory and later Shelter with Thieves. He worked in festival and stage management, video and music production and he owned and operated a music studio.
Mike suffered from severe depression starting in his early teens and his “rock-star” lifestyle easily led him to alcohol abuse and eventually a very serious drug addiction . In 2013 Mike hit a rock bottom and decided enough is enough. He admitted himself to a 1 year intake addiction treatment program in Edmonton Canada called “Our House” where he dedicated his life to healing and learning everything about addiction and concurrent diseases.
After losing his best friend to an overdose, Mike saw how insufficient the western treatments alone are, and became laser focused on finding more effective ways to help himself and other addicts truly heal. In his research, he came across Dr. Gabor Mates’ work treating addiction patients with Ayahuasca. In 2015 Mike packed his bags and headed to Peru for 3 months to work with Ayahuasca and began dieting master plants in the Shipibo tradition. He continued working with Ayahuasca in Canada and Peru and in January 2017 his path led him to the Ayahuasca Foundation 10 week curandero initiation course where he found his place and his life purpose as a healer.
Today, Mike Johnson can be found facilitating plant medicine ceremonies, offering pre-ceremony intention sessions as well as post-ceremony integration. He continues to be a creative being by writing music, connecting with nature and helping people find their healing path.
- This is a special episode with Madelyn’s partner Mike Johnson.
- Turn your pain into your passion. Turn your mess into your message.
- New monthly membership program – Sisu Society – maddymoon.com/sisu-society
- Two lessons per month exclusively on FB Live for members & access to community and connection.
- Feminine grit is required to be a feminine being.
- “Be a broken record for love.”
- Mike’s most consistent muse in life is music.
- Focused on recording and touring with a successful band, but a part of him was unhappy and lifestyle led into addiction.
- Mike finally sought help and went to a treatment center.
- Mike needed more than medications prescribed as an easy “fix” to addiction.
- After his friend passed away in treatment, Mike discovered plant medicine and Dr. Gabor Mates’s work bringing patients to Peru to work with Ayahuasca.
- Every plant has a spirit. Every plant has light, and every plant has dark. Plant diets establish a relationship with these plants.
- “No one is flawed. It’s just part of your journey to figure out these things you need to get through.”
- Ayahuasca is a diagnostic tool and requires guidance and participation – cleaning the body.
- Experiences are so different from person to person.
- Anything worthwhile in life that has light, comes with shadow.
- Madelyn’s relationship with Ayahuasca wasn’t able to develop until she had an experience of darkness with it.
- You can hear Madelyn further discuss her Ayahuasca experience with Will Siu: maddymoon.com/will-siu/
- Challenges and difficulties performing with bands on stage were like training for the ceremony space.
- When considering Ayahuasca ceremony, Madelyn discovered it was important to be heart-centered and have help in integration sessions to truly process the healing.
- Mike offers integration sessions for those interested (email below).
- Mike’s book: The Untethered Soul: https://amzn.to/34QQLsR
Connect with Mike:
- Email: [email protected]
COACHING: receive personalized, 1:1 coaching from Maddy Moon to create your own feminine and masculine embodiment. Heal your heart, build confidence, create an online business (if that’s a goal!) or simply feel happier. Single sessions, 3 month, 6 month and 12 month options available. Apply here: http://maddymoon.com/coaching
SISU SOCIETY: Madelyn’s *New* Monthly Membership Program includes two live teachings per month, a private Facebook community, resources and access to lessons on Devotional Love, Feminine Embodiment, Polarity, Relationships, Harnessing Higher Truths, Pleasure and so much more. If you’d like to be a part of the Society, learn more and join for $19/month here: http://maddymoon.com/sisu-society
FEMININE SPIRIT SCHOOL: this school is the one-stop-shop for all things feminine energy! If you’ve been wanting to embody the feminine but feel stuck on the how, this program will take you through the entire realm from start to (well…we’re never really finished, are we?). Learn about the feminine/masculine, shadow sides, ancestral healing, boundary setting, empowerment, sensuality and sexuality, sovereignty and so much more. Sign up here: http://maddymoon.com/feminine-spirit