Episode 307: Mary Magdalene, one of the most important individuals in Christianity, is also one of the most misunderstood. Her powerful femininity and significance in Jesus’s stories and teachings have been undermined for over a thousand years. Join Madelyn as she explores the teachings of Mary Magdalene, the Apostle to the Apostles, not the prostitute, in the context of today’s feminist reawakening and her own Christian upbringing.
- Madelyn was named after Mary Magdalene.
- She had an oppressive/repressive patriarchal upbringing experience.
- Moving From Religion to Spirituality episode for a look at upbringing – maddymoon.com/religion-spirituality/
- The Sex Episode – discussing the confluence of her upbringing and her sexuality – maddymoon.com/sex/
- In 2015 denounced “Christian” title.
- Too much of Christianity didn’t feel right.
- Traveled to Israel, experience spoke to her.
- Church should be a celebration, not a punishment.
- Recommended Reading:
Mary Magdalene Revealed by Megan Watterson – https://amzn.to/2zR4gOn
Gospel of Mary of Magdala by Karen King – https://amzn.to/2AvvObO
The Meaning of Mary Magdalene by Cynthia Bourgeault – https://amzn.to/3gA2DoR
The Magdalen Manuscript by Tom Kenyon – https://amzn.to/2Aufvfn
- Six key areas for context:
Mary was not a prostitute
Book of Mary omitted from Bible
Six pages missing, four pages in the middle missing
Seven powers she highlights – egoic parts of human nature
- We are inherently good.
- Jesus was both fully divine and fully human
- Not a prostitute – declaration that she was came from Pope Gregory to undermine her teaching, and undermined women’s capacity to be leaders.
- In 1969 the Catholic Church apologized for the fabrication.
- The path that Mary carves for us is that every single human being has the voice of the angels, and the voice of God, the voice of the Divine within themselves.
- The books omitted from the Bible focus on a personal connection with God not requiring an intermediary.
- It’s our journey to believe in our truths. It’s not our job to force other people to believe in these truths.
- Allow others to disagree with you.
- Seven powers that must be attained to ascend: darkness, craving, ignorance, longing for death, compulsion of range, enslavement to physical body, and the false peace of the flesh.
- These powers are not meant to be destroyed or obliterated.
- The path of love is that we’re devoted to having this ascension within ourselves, which is actually a descent into the heart.
- What made Jesus who he was, was the fact that he we fully human and fully divine.
- Jesus honored his sex as a potent life force.
- Peter doubts Mary, that she was given teachings they were not.
COACHING: receive personalized, 1:1 coaching from Maddy Moon to create your own feminine and masculine embodiment. Heal your heart, build confidence, create an online business (if that’s a goal!) or simply feel happier. Single sessions, 3 month, 6 month and 12 month options available. Apply here: http://maddymoon.com/coaching
SISU SOCIETY: Madelyn’s *New* Monthly Membership Program includes two live teachings per month, a private Facebook community, resources and access to lessons on Devotional Love, Feminine Embodiment, Polarity, Relationships, Harnessing Higher Truths, Pleasure and so much more. If you’d like to be a part of the Society, learn more and join for $19/month here: http://maddymoon.com/sisu-society
FEMININE SPIRIT SCHOOL: this school is the one-stop-shop for all things feminine energy! If you’ve been wanting to embody the feminine but feel stuck on the how, this program will take you through the entire realm from start to (well…we’re never really finished, are we?). Learn about the feminine/masculine, shadow sides, ancestral healing, boundary setting, empowerment, sensuality and sexuality, sovereignty and so much more. Sign up here: http://maddymoon.com/feminine-spirit